Anytime the boys have to take snack for their class I make these mini banana blueberry muffins. I have been known to batch cook and freeze them. However, with bigger classes I usually only have a few left over. This morning both boys ate three and fought over the fourth. Good stuff.
I like to call them healthy as the recipe uses whole wheat flour and not much sugar. But let’s not lie to each other; they are sweet muffins. I still recommend putting them into your rotation. Especially if you have a picky eater as I feel these counts as a fruit AND grain serving.
Banana Blueberry Muffin
From cookingwithmykid.com, modified slightly for mini-muffins
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted + cooled
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
2. Mix together flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. In another bowl, use a fork to mix together bananas, egg and melted butter.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just mixed. (Do not over mix!) I sometimes have to add a splash of water to loosen it up a bit.
5. Fill cups of muffin tin with batter until each is 3/4 full. (Should make 10 to 12 muffins or 28-30 mini muffins)
6. Carefully press a few blueberries into the top of each muffin.
7. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes for large muffins, 9-10 minutes for mini muffins or until toothpick comes out clean.